Three Swedish trends fresh from Way Out West

With slightly less dignity I've arrived home to Amsterdam from Way Out West in Gothenburg, Sweden. And it was undoubtedly the best festival I've ever been to. Ever. Hands down. Full-stop. Mama needs to have a lie-down now.

Of course, a separate post is coming about all the hijinks and hilarity from WoW - but in the meantime, this is a little taster of Swedish festival trends. Because we all know that Sweden spits out the trends and the world hyperventilates. You can tack me later.

I bet she's a Swede. Image from favim.com

1. Nana eyeglass chains (for your Raybans)

Seriously, every Swedish hipster worth their weight in geek glasses had a cute-as-hell chain attached to their glasses. This also went for eye glasses (and for some reason, the eyeglass shape du jour was the Terry Richardson paedophile glasses). Some chains were ghetto fabulous, others a plain coloured cord, but either way, they were hanging from necks and not perched on heads. Better raid your nana's cupboard asap.

Image from acne.com
2. Leather neck pouch (for your iPhone and cards)

At first I thought everyone was wearing those super-daggy travel neck pouches. The ones American tourists wear under their clothes to really dangerous places (like Copenhagen). You know these ones.  So I gave a dramatic sigh of relief when I realised they were nothing of the sort. These pouches were made of leather and were sleek, minimalistic, discreet. One part jewellery, one part bag, and all parts awesome, they were proudly displayed on many a Swedish hipster's chest - not tucked under their Acne dresses like some schmuck.

In the crowd at Looptroop Rockers.

3. Fjallraven Kanken backpack.

You guys. If there was a sartorial equivalent of herpes, this bag would have been it. It was everywhere. I took the above photo at Looptroop Rockers (a Swedish hiphop band very similar to Hilltop Hoods for all the Australians playing at home). There were actually two more people wearing the backpacks that  I could have tried to fit into that photo, but I couldn't for stalkerish reasons. People were wearing them in a rainbow of colours and with a huge variety of outfits and it seemed that you either wore them pristine and brand new, or beat up and weathered to the point of breaking. And because I am a sheep, I have my eye on a navy one. Naturally.

So if anyone cares to donate to my Swedish style fund, I accept cash, credit cards and/or gifts in the form of any one of the above. Tack!

Comments

Popular Posts